Persistent jaw pain and headaches aren’t always caused by tooth decay. Patients suffering from such issues may have problems with TMD, a condition that affects jaw motion. If you feel there may be problems with the joints in your jaw, the staff at Smile Design Dental is here to help! Schedule an appointment at our Broward County offices today to learn more about TMJ disorders.
One of the most complex joints in your body lies in the head. The jaw needs to have a specific range of motion. As people age, cartilage and ligaments may degrade the TMJ (temporomandibular joint) which can cause a wealth of problems, such as:
- Frequent headaches
- Pain when opening the mouth
- Sensitivity around the ear and jaw socket
- Persistent jaw pain
- Stuck or locked jaw
- Sudden over/underbites that may come and go
Because mouth pain can be difficult to diagnose, upon your visit our team will give your jaw a thorough examination. Full x-rays and an analysis of the joint will help your dentist to discern if the TMJ is causing the problem.
Relief from TMD
The causes of TMJ issues are not always clear, yet common ailments such as arthritis and tooth-grinding have been linked to TMD. Surgery is usually unnecessary as the condition can normally be handled with less invasive techniques. It is important to note that TMD is a series of conditions and doesn’t refer to a specific disease, meaning that it isn’t treated but managed using techniques approved by your doctor. Some of these methods include:
- Inflammation reducers: Over-the-counter pain management such as ibuprofen and naproxen also help reduce inflammation, which can relieve the pressure on your jaw.
- Mouthguards: Patients that grind their teeth at night are open to a number of different problems, not just TMJ issues. A mouth guard will help to relieve pressure on the joint while you sleep.
- Anti-aging injections: While commonly associated with cosmetic treatments, anti-aging injections can help to alleviate some of the most severe symptoms of TMD when used in the right areas.
Your dentist may suggest some remedies you can try at home as well. Using these techniques, patients can manage TMD and reduce the impact of migraines, jaw tension, and earaches.
Because TMD can cause other problems with your teeth, Smile Design Dental may have other treatments to help reverse the damage that TMJ issues can cause. Cracked, worn, or misshapen teeth caused by improper bite strength and jaw alignment can be repaired by our expert team too!
TMJ Treatments by Smile Design Dental
If you are having difficulty eating, sleeping, or opening your mouth thanks to TMJ problems, don’t hesitate to call Smile Design Dental today. Our team is ready to help you get back to living a life that keeps you smiling!